2 high-rise towers in India demolished for violating laws

Date:

NEW DELHI (AP) – Two high-rise condominium towers in India were razed to the ground on Sunday in a controlled demolition after the country’s highest court ruled them illegal for violating building standards, officials said. They became the tallest structures in India to be razed to the ground.

More than 1,500 families left their apartments in the area for more than seven hours before the nearly 100-foot-tall towers crumbled inward from the impact of the implosion. The 32- and 29-storey towers, which were built by a private builder in the city of Noida on the outskirts of New Delhi, were yet to be occupied.

“In general, everything is fine,” said Ritu Maheshwari, a government leader, after the demolition. “It happened as expected.”

Demolition was completed in seconds, but followed a 12-year lawsuit between residents in the area and the builder, Supertech Limited.

The destruction of the towers came after the Supreme Court found that the builder, in coordination with government officials, had violated laws prohibiting construction within a certain distance of nearby buildings.

The Supreme Court said the construction of the two towers was also illegal because the builder did not receive mandatory permission from other apartment owners in the area.

Prior to demolition, the towers were surrounded by scaffolding, fences, barricades and special covers to block dust from the roughly 88,000 tons of debris that would be generated, officials said. The removal of all the debris will take three months.

Residents are expected to return to the area Sunday evening after experts investigate the impact of the demolition. Some apartments are located just nine meters (29.5 feet) from the explosion site and the required safe distance is 20 meters (65.6 feet).

“It would be in the top five demolition work in the world in terms of height, volume, steel and density of the structure,” said Utkarsh Mehta, a partner of Edifice Engineering, who pulled down the building in collaboration with Jet Demolition of South Africa. at a cost of 180 million rupees ($2.25 million).

Mehta said 3,500 kilograms (7,716 pounds) of explosives were drilled into thousands of holes in the columns and pincers of the towers. Experts used the waterfall method of demolition where one story collapses after another.

Joe Brikmann, director of Jet Demolition, said earlier that he was confident there would be no damage to the buildings next to the demolished towers.

“The buildings in this area are in a high seismic zone (zone IV) and are built to withstand earthquakes much stronger than vibrations from an implosion. We are confident that the implosion of the towers will not cause any damage to property,” the Times of India newspaper quoted him as saying.

The tallest building in the world to be demolished with explosives so far was 165 meters high and took place in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates on November 27, 2020, according to Guinness World Records.

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related