Anne Heche: 911 call reveals neighbors’ panic after star crashed into an occupied home in LA


Everyone in the house was counted, the caller said, adding that he wasn’t sure how many people were in the car when it crashed.

“Someone opens the back to see if we can get in, because they’re kind of locked in… in the car,” the caller continued. In the background a voice shouted “fire!” and another called for hoses as the dispatcher tried to determine if the smoke was in the house or in the car.

While questions remain about that tragic day, more information has come to light about the events leading up to Heche’s crash.

A red wig and a ‘random’ morning meeting

About 20 minutes before Heche’s car crashed into the house, she made an innocent purchase: a red wig in a hair salon in Venice, about two miles from the accident site.

At about 10:35 a.m. that day, she entered the salon through a back door, owner Richard Glass told the Los Angeles Times.

She looked at wigs on a shelf in the shampoo room and chose a blue one. Glass told her the wig had already been taken, so she opted for a red wig instead, he told the publication.

Glass recognized her and the couple took selfies, one of which he posted on Instagram.

“So I met @anneheche today and she bought a #redwig so randomly,” he wrote in the caption.

With a beaming smile—her blond hair in a short, crumpled cut—Heche held her new wig in the photo.

Glass used the timestamp in the photos to estimate Heche’s arrival time at the salon, he told the publication. It turned out to be one of her last photos before the crash.

When reached by CNN, Glass declined to provide further details, saying the “bizarre and horrific” situation was difficult to handle and has taken a toll on him.

“I quickly found it difficult to navigate the cyberbullying of strangers, the random phone calls and all the help that came out of it – as well as the overwhelming feelings of sadness I have at the tragic loss of someone’s life,” he told CNN.

About 20 minutes later, a fiery crash into a two-story house

Shortly after stopping at the hair salon, Heche’s speeding car drove into a Los Angeles home, police said. Video of the scene showed the car’s charred shell and clouds of smoke.

“Solo passenger vehicle struck and came to rest in a 738-square-foot, two-story home built in 1952, causing a structural compromise and a major fire,” the Los Angeles Fire Department said in a statement.

It took the nearly 60 firefighters about 65 minutes to extinguish the flames and save Heche, authorities said. She was taken to hospital in critical condition.

Lynne Mishele lived in the house with her puppies, Bree and Rueban, and turtle Marley. They barely made it out alive, but lost almost everything in the fire, neighbor Roy Morgen told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS. Heche’s car stopped about two feet from where Mishele was sitting, Morgen said.

Just before the crash, Heche was involved in a separate hit-and-run, but her serious injuries prevented officers from questioning her about it, a law enforcement source said. LAPD authorities told CNN there are no plans to release additional details about that incident.

At the time of the crash, Heche was involved in several projects, including the “Better Together” podcast, which highlighted meaningful friendships. On an episode of the podcast released before the crash, Heche talked about having a bad day. “Today was a very unique day,” she said in the podcast. “I don’t know what happened, sometimes days just suck.”

It is not clear when the episode was recorded. Not much is known about her whereabouts that morning until minutes before the crash.

A 911 call and panic over a trapped victim

The 911 call provides insight into the panic at the accident site.

In the frenetic audio, the caller told the emergency room that the car was moving so fast, it’s in the second room of the house. “About ten feet into the house,” the caller said.

Later, the caller told the emergency room that the car was on fire and that the smoke was turning “really black”, while others in the background shouted that someone was trapped in the car. Sirens blared in the background.

“Here comes the ambulance,” the caller said. Dispatch urged the caller to remain on the phone until medics begin to help the victim.

A positive drug test and a rejected study

Heche was hospitalized in critical condition after the crash.

Detectives were given a search warrant for her blood sample, and tests later revealed she was under the influence of narcotics, police said.

Her spokesperson told CNN that the actress had a significant lung injury that required a ventilator and severe burns. Her family and friends later said she had also suffered a severe anoxic brain injury, which occurs when the brain runs out of oxygen.

Until her death on Sunday, she was kept on a ventilator to determine if her organs were viable for donation and a match was made.

The LAPD initially announced she was being investigated for felony DUI after her blood test showed signs of impairment, elevating it to a felony DUI.

After her death, authorities closed their investigation into the crash, police said.

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voice
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:


More like this