Chris Rock says he turned down offer to host the Oscars 5 months after Will Smith slap

Date:

Chris Rock talked about “the blow” again on the tour – and he had some new information to share. While performing his stand-up show in Phoenix, Arizona on Sunday night, the comedian claimed he had been asked to host next year’s Oscars. It’s only been five months since Will Smith stormed onto the stage at the awards ceremony and punched Rock in the face for making a joke about Jada Pinkett Smith’s hair.

The Republic of Arizona reports that during the show, “Rock compared returning to the Oscars to returning to the scene of a crime, referring to the murder trial of OJ Simpson, whose murder of her ex-wife started with leaving glasses at an Italian restaurant. Rock said returning to the awards ceremony would be like asking Nicole Brown Simpson ‘to go back to the restaurant’.”

Rock, who previously joked about the incident, said he declined the invitation. He also revealed that he was offered a Super Bowl commercial because of the incident, but “profane” declined that too, according to the paper. Rock, however, did not refuse to discuss the blow. When someone in the sold-out crowd urged him to talk about it, the strip admitted the blow to Smith, who played boxer Muhammad Ali in Alihurt.

“He’s taller than me,” Rock joked. “The state of Nevada would not condone a fight between me and Will Smith.”

Yahoo Entertainment contacted the Academy for comment on Rock’s claims, but did not receive an immediate response. However, the group usually never responds to hosting rumors (or offers).

ABC president of Entertainment Craig Erwich said in May that he was open to Rock hosting the 2023 broadcast. The comedian previously hosted in 2005 and 2016.

“My assessment of the Oscars was that it was a really successful year for the show. There was of course a lot of controversy, which overshadowed a lot of the positive things about the show, but I was very happy with the program,” Erwich said. Deadline. “Even before that very unfortunate moment, the show started year after year and we came back in a big way.”

Smith resigned from the Academy after the incident and was later banned from Academy-related events for 10 years. After being out of the spotlight for months, the actor is slowly starting to come out of hiding. A month ago, Smith returned to social media and apologized to Rock.

“There is no part of me that thinks this was the right way to behave at the time. There is no part of me that thinks this is the optimal way to deal with a sense of disrespect or insults said Smith.

“I have contacted Chris and the message that came back is that he is not ready to talk and if he is, he will contact you. So I will say to you Chris, I apologize to you. My behavior was unacceptable and I’ll be here when you’re ready to talk, Smith added.

Insiders say it’s unlikely Rock will want to sit down with the Oscar winner anytime soon.

MORE: Will Smith “does well” as he emerges with Jada Pinkett Smith months after Oscars blow

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related