DA George Gascón recall effort fails to collect enough signatures to make ballot, county says

Date:

LOS ANGELES (KABC) — An attempt to recall Los Angeles County district attorney George Gascón from office has failed to collect enough valid signatures to be put on the ballot, county officials said Monday.

The county clerk’s office said that while organizers submitted more than 715,000 signatures to get the measure on the ballot, only 520,000 turned out to be valid. The measure required nearly 567,000 valid signatures to be placed on the ballot paper.

The county said more than 195,000 signatures were found to be invalid for reasons such as the person signing not reside in the county or not being a registered voter. Nearly 44,000 signatures turned out to be duplicates.

Last week, the organizers of the recall claimed the province was not complying with current signature verification laws. obvious” respect from those on file. But organizers claimed the province was not adhering to that standard.

The county says it conducted its review in accordance with all California laws and requirements.

On Monday, the recall committee called the clerk’s findings “surprising and disappointing” but said they will review the rejected signatures and the verification process.

The commission noted that more than half a million residents of the province supported the petition, in addition to leaders of 37 cities who did not trust Gascón.

“It is heartbreaking to deny them the opportunity to restore public safety in their own communities,” the recall committee said. “And to interpret this in any other way than an outright rejection of Gascon’s dangerous policies would be unfair, or naive at best.”

A spokesperson for Gascón’s campaign issued a statement: “We are, of course, pleased to be able to withstand this attempted political coup, but we also understand that there is much more work to be done. And we remain strongly committed to that work.” DA’s primary focus has been and has always been to keep us safe and create a fairer justice system for all. Today’s announcement doesn’t change that.”

This isn’t the only obstacle that has challenged the recall effort.

Last month, a company that collected petition signatures for the measure claimed by federal court that the organizers of the recall owe the company at least $469,596 for unpaid work.

RELATED: Signature Collection Company Sues Gascón Recall Commission

Gascón has come under fire since taking office in December 2020, when he issued a series of guidelines that critics denounced as gentle on crime. The guidelines include a rule against demanding the death penalty, a ban on transferring juvenile suspects to adult courts and, in most cases, a ban on convictions.

Gascón has repeatedly defended his policies, saying that his views were known during his campaign and that his election was a sign of public support for his agenda.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2022 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.


The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related