Two weeks ago, when David Zaslav, CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery, during a quarterly earnings call, said he was “very excited” about upcoming DC titles, including “The Flash,” the film is still slated for a 2023 release. On Monday, Miller announced that they are addressing their “complex mental health issues.” ” tackled.
“Having recently gone through a period of intense crisis, I now understand that I suffer from complex mental health issues and have begun ongoing treatment,” Miller said in a statement shared with The Washington Post. “I want to apologize to everyone I have alarmed and upset about my past behavior. I am determined to do the necessary work to return to a healthy, safe and productive phase of my life.”
The statement came after Miller’s months of silence over the allegations against them, and amid reported conversations at Warner Bros. on how to handle the $200 million film, which is expected to play a key role in the DC Extended Universe. According to Evan Nierman, a crisis management expert who serves as chief executive of public relations firm Red Banyan, this was a logical next step for Warner Bros. because it “puts the responsibility on Miller”.
“It takes a situation where someone can be seen as criminal or malicious and that turns into someone who deserves some mercy and understanding,” Nierman said. “I suspect Warner Bros. was only too happy to go down this road. I don’t know who pays for the [treatment]but even if the studio paid for it, that seems like a pretty worthwhile investment, considering what they’ve already put into the movie itself.
Warner Bros. was asked for comment regarding Miller’s statement and forwarded The Washington Post to a publicist for Miller, who had no further comment.
Miller has been arrested twice in Hawaii this year — once in March for disorderly conduct and harassment at a karaoke bar, and again in April for allegedly throwing a chair that hit a woman in the face at a private home. Miller did not plead the disorderly conduct charge and paid a fine; the harassment charge was dismissed. A temporary restraining order filed by a couple alleging the actor threatened them was also withdrawn in April. Last week, Miller was charged with burglary in Vermont, where they live, for an incident in May in which they allegedly stole bottles of alcohol from a home whose residents were not present.
Allegations of sexual assault against Miller date back to April 2020, when a video went viral in which the actor appeared to be choking a woman in Iceland; no charges were filed. Miller has also faced multiple allegations of abuse and grooming, some of which have led to requests for protections. According to Rolling Stone, in June the parents of an 18-year-old filed for a restraining order against Miller on behalf of their child, who they say had been cared for by Miller for several years after visiting the Standing Rock Reservation in North Dakota. Later that month, the Daily Beast reported that a Massachusetts mother and her 12-year-old had been given a temporary harassment prevention order against Miller after he allegedly acted inappropriately towards the child.
It’s unclear if Miller will be involved in future projects like the Flash. According to Nierman, the executives of Warner Bros. between now and the release date of the current film in June 2023 to do their job for them.
“The key will be, can Ezra Miller stay out of trouble until the premiere?” said the crisis management expert. “I should think that Warner Bros. is going to do everything it can to increase the chances of that.”
This post has been updated.