Fernando Tatis Jr. apologizes after PED ban

Date:

Remark

Eleven days after accepting his 80-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug, Fernando Tatis Jr. He spoke to his San Diego Padres teammates. He spoke to reporters.

He hadn’t done either of those things since news that he’d tested positive for a banned substance a week and a half ago stunned the sport—unless you count his widely ridiculous statement blaming ringworm treatment for introducing Clostebol into his system. .

Padres General Manager AJ Preller had talked about it. He was disappointed. Tatis’ teammates had been asked about it. They too were disappointed. Even his father, former big league footballer Fernando Tatis Sr., had given an interview in which he blamed a haircut for giving his son a yeast infection that led to the positive test, and he complained to MLB for saying it was “a player’s image over something as small as that.”

But it wasn’t until Tuesday that Tatis, in regular clothes because he is unable to play sports with the team while suspended, slipped in front of a circle of waiting cameras and microphones to answer for himself.

“I’m very sorry. I’ve disappointed so many people,” Tatis said on Tuesday. “I’ve lost so much love from people. I failed. I failed the front office, the San Diego Padres, [chairman] Peter Seidler, AJ Preller. I’ve let every fan of the city down. I have failed… my country.

“I have abandoned my family, my parents. I’m really sorry for my mistakes. I have watched my dreams turn into my worst nightmares in a few days, a few months. But I can’t blame anyone but myself.”

Padres star Fernando Tatis Jr. 80 games suspended for violation of MLB’s PED policy

Ever since Tatis came on the scene and went on to become one of the most hyped young stars in the sport, he’s found himself in some disgrace. When a shoulder injury threatened his season in 2021, he opted for surgery to excel for the rest of the season, but he never looked the same. When he showed up for spring training after the MLB lockout in March, he did so with a broken wrist sustained in one of what Tatis reported as multiple off-season motorcycle accidents — something he couldn’t have told the team under the lockout rules. and that cost him the first four months of this season.

“I haven’t made the right decisions in the past week, month. Even at the beginning of the year. I made a mistake and I regret every step I have taken these days,” Tatis said, according to ESPN and other outlets present. “There is still a long way to go.”

Tatis has never been able to hide his feelings as well as some of his colleagues, so much so that when he and the Padres collapsed when he suffered a shoulder injury in 2021, his stern demeanor raised questions about morale – being and that from his clubhouse. The team switched managers offseason in hopes that veteran Bob Melvin could help a star-studded roster become a winner with Tatis at the center. But while Tatis seemed superficial in his approach to his profession at times, his body language suggested he was shocked by what happened this month.

“I’m going to remember how this feels. And I’m going to make sure I never end up in this position again,” Tatis said. “I know I have a lot of love that I need to get back. I have a lot of work to do. It will be a very long process to regain everyone’s trust, to win back the love that I have stabbed right through the heart of every baseball fan.”

Perhaps, given that his career path has now changed drastically, as his 2022 season is over, he is to be expected to be shaken up. But time won’t be completely wasted: Preller and Tatis have confirmed that he will undergo surgery on that shaky shoulder that he’s been patching together for about a year now, and will spend much of his off-season rehab in San Diego. Tatis’ suspension ends in May.

“I’m going to do everything in my power, everything in my power, everything I can do on the field, off the field to be a better teammate. The distraction I’ve had is just something unacceptable, something I have no excuse for, something that needs to be redeemed right now,” Tatis said. “I know there’s been a lot of talk, but it’s with actions. They are actions that I will start with and actions that will speak for myself in the future.”

Starting pitcher Joe Musgrove told San Diego reportersincluding 97.3 FM, which showed Tatis “repented” and offered clarity on what happened on Tuesday in a players-only meeting, and Musgrove said the young star was receiving “tough love”.

“But people make mistakes, man. It’s something that we certainly won’t be ignoring for the rest of his career,” Musgrove said. “I know there are fans who want that and people will feel how they want to feel, but what I emphasized to him is that the most important people are the people in this room.”

Luckily for the Padres, one of the people in that room is Juan Soto, a 23-year-old star the team traded for before it knew Tatis would be out for the rest of the season. Even with Soto, the Padres are holding onto a playoff spot, not cruising. They were due to take the field Tuesday night, a game and a half for the Milwaukee Brewers for the final playoff spot in the National League.


The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related