Some Connecticut families will soon receive child tax credits. Gov. Ned Lamont announced yesterday that there will be incentives for families in Connecticut. The Connecticut Department of Revenue Services (DRS) is expected to send out most checks by the end of this week, and eligible recipients will receive them in the coming days.
Stimulus Checks for Families in Connecticut: Who Gets Them?
On Thursday, the Lamont government announced that the child tax discount will now be sent out by post. Further, the governor said most eligible families will receive the discount in the coming days.
“I am pleased that we were able to introduce this tax reduction and send it to the families in time for the start of the school year. I appreciate the Department of Revenue Services staff for processing these applications and sending them to families in a timely manner,” Government Lamont said at a press conference with Department of Revenue Services commissioner Mark Boughton.
Last week, Lamont announced that the incentive checks for families in Connecticut would begin this week. This tax reduction is part of the budget law that Lamont signed this spring. The last date to apply for this tax relief was July 31.
Eligible taxpayers receive a discount of up to $250 per child for up to three children. The rebate will go to any Connecticut resident who claimed a dependent child age 18 or younger on their 2021 federal income tax return.
Also, applicants must meet a certain income threshold to qualify for the payment: less than $100,000 for single applicants, or less than $200,000 for couples filing jointly.
Why was a separate application necessary?
According to the DRS, it has received 238,668 applications for the rebate, representing 369,863 dependents. The DRS also announced that as of Thursday morning it had approved a discount for 189,374 families on behalf of 317,044 children.
“We’re so excited because today people are going to go to their mailbox and open that mailbox and they’re going to find a check from the state of Connecticut for the child tax discount,” Boughton said.
Gov. Lamont and state officials have encouraged families to apply before the deadline. However, a week before July 31, only about 57% of eligible families had applied, state officials said.
DRS noted that there are approximately 32,808 applications that are incomplete or have eligibility issues. The checks for such applicants, if approved, are likely to be released in early September.
Boughton explained why a separate application was required to apply for the rebate, saying the state could not identify from tax returns whether dependents had reached 19 or not, or whether taxpayers had moved out of Connecticut.
This article originally appeared on ValueWalk