Intel agencies have been working with the FBI for months on assessing Mar-a-Lago documents

Date:

This document-by-document review has enabled the agencies to determine whether immediate efforts should be made to protect resources and methods as a result of the documents kept at former President Donald Trump’s Florida residence and resort, it said. the sources.
After the National Archives granted the FBI access to the 15 boxes it retrieved from Mar-a-Lago in January, the agency began providing copies of relevant documents to individual U.S. intelligence agencies to assess whether the boxes contained classified markings. were, in fact, classified — and allow the agencies holding the sensitive information to determine informally whether the disclosure of the material could compromise sensitive resources. That effort came as part of the Justice Department’s investigation that resulted in the FBI’s search for Mar-a-Lago earlier this month.
Under pressure from Congress, the director of national intelligence told key lawmakers on Friday that her office, which oversees the intelligence community, will also conduct a formal damage assessment of any damages that could arise from the disclosure of the documents. While individual agencies have taken a look at some of what has been extracted from Mar-a-Lago, assessments such as those by National Intelligence Director Avril Haines are designed to provide a broader analytical picture of both short-term and long-term risks. to US national security if such information were exposed, rather than solving immediate operational risks.

Spokespersons for the FBI, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the CIA and the National Security Agency declined to comment.

For now, the risk of Trump’s storage of top-secret documents at his Palm Beach, Florida resort remains purely theoretical. It is not known publicly who accessed or viewed the classified material in the boxes recovered by the archives and the FBI — or what the documents themselves reveal.

But current and former US officials have sounded alarm bells about the potential danger posed by the highly insecure storage of such sensitive documents, and top US lawmakers have put pressure on the intelligence community to tell us in detail what they know about the consequences.

There are multiple concerns for intelligence officials, including that classified US programs may have been revealed. There is also concern that the sensitive ways the US government collects classified information — including human sources, overseas wiretaps and other tech platforms like satellites — have been exposed to the wrong eyes and become useless. Of particular concern is the possibility of a human resource being put in physical danger if their identities are revealed to a hostile government.

Formal damage assessments such as those announced by Haines are designed not only to reveal any immediate damage from exposure of classified information, but also to look at the long-term risks of that information being made public, said Brian Greer, a former CIA attorney specializing in national security investigations. Such an assessment could, for example, analyze whether there are foreign policy concerns for the US if a particular piece of classified information were revealed.

That’s different, Greer said, from the kind of case-by-case assessment done by the relevant operational units at each agency aimed at immediate damage mitigation.

“It makes sense to me that this has been going on since the second time the FBI identified those documents,” Greer said. “Those efforts to reduce risk are different from a formal assessment, which will be analytical in nature and look not just at immediate harm, but also long-term harm — it’s both concrete and theoretical.”

According to Greer, there are some potential risks associated with conducting a full damage assessment: in particular, that it could hinder the criminal prosecution that the Department of Justice could pursue as a result of the investigation. In theory, the damages assessment could be discovered in court and there is a risk that the defense will be given the opportunity for what is known as “graymail” – the threat of revealing state secrets in public court to get the DOJ to hear the case. drop.

Haines promised in her Friday notification to Congress that the ODNI will “coordinate closely with DOJ to ensure that this IC review is conducted in a manner that does not unnecessarily interfere with DOJ’s ongoing criminal investigation.”

In January, the National Archives recovered 15 boxes of presidential material containing 184 documents marked with classified markings, “including 67 documents marked CONFIDENTIAL, 92 documents marked SECRET and 25 documents marked TOP SECRET,” according to a DOJ affidavit released on Friday.

The Justice Department earlier this month requested a search warrant to search Mar-a-Lago and obtained 11 sets of classified material, including one marked “top secret/SCI” and four marked “top secret.”

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Asia stocks fall after Wall Street slump; China PMI beats estimates

Japanese movers: Softbank, Nintendo, Toyota fall Apple suppliers in...

Increase In Monthly Social Security Payments In The United States…

there will be an Social Security benefits are up...

Mets To Promote Francisco Alvarez

The Mets will promote catching prospects Francisco Alvarez ahead...