Iran nuclear deal: US confirms it has sent response to EU on proposal to salvage the deal

Date:

“As you know, we have received comments from Iran on the proposed final EU text through the EU. Our assessment of those comments has now been completed. We have responded to the EU today,” the Foreign Ministry spokesman said. Affairs Ned Price in a statement.

He did not provide details on the response, but it is not expected that the US will accept what Iran has put forward without seeking changes and further negotiations.

US officials had expressed some optimism about the latest efforts to revive the nuclear deal, which left the US in 2018 during the Trump administration and which Tehran has increasingly violated since. However, they have stressed that a rift still exists between the two sides.

It is also expected to face significant domestic opposition from US congressional lawmakers, and has been denounced by Israel, which the prime minister said “will act to prevent Iran from becoming a nuclear state”. Negotiations on the nuclear deal are also taking place amid ongoing concerns about threats from Iranian and Iranian-backed military groups.

EU spokesman Nabila Massrali confirmed that they have “received the response from the US and forwarded it to Iran”.

Earlier on Wednesday, a spokesman for Iran’s foreign ministry said they had received the response from the US through the EU and that “the careful study of US positions has begun”.

“Iran will share its comments with the coordinator upon completion of the assessment,” Nasser Kanaani said, according to a statement from Iran’s foreign ministry.

The US response came more than a week after Iran sent its reply to what top EU diplomat Josep Borrell called “a final text” to restore the nuclear deal. Borrell said Monday the Iranian response was “reasonable”.

Price said Monday that the US administration is “as quick as we can, as methodically as we can and as carefully as we can to ensure that our response is complete”, noting that it is “taking into account Iranian feedback”.

Biden government officials have alleged that Tehran has dropped a number of demands that were intended in previous drafts of the text to reinstate the 2015 agreement, including a demand that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) be delisted as a foreign terrorist organization.

Still problems to solve

However, US officials have indicated that there are still issues to be resolved before the US agrees to rejoin the deal – formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). Iran has increasingly violated its obligations to the agreement and expanded its nuclear program in the wake of the US withdrawal.

“We have been saying all along that if Iran were willing to re-join the JCPOA and if it was willing to drop the demands that fall outside the JCPOA, i.e. the demands that Iran has put forward before and that have nothing to do with the Iran deal, then we would be willing to re-enter the Iran deal on a reciprocal basis,” Price said in an interview on CNN’s “New Day” Wednesday morning.

“We’re closer today, but we’re still not there,” he said.

The US sent its response to the EU a day after Israeli national security adviser Eyal Hulata met his counterpart Jake Sullivan in Washington. On Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid reiterated his country’s opposition to “this deal, because it’s a bad one.”

Iran drops another key question as prospects for revived nuclear deal grow

Lapid called on the US and other parties to the deal to distance themselves from the negotiations, claiming that the “negotiators are willing to make concessions”.

“We made it clear to everyone: if a deal is signed, Israel is not obligated. We will act to prevent Iran from becoming a nuclear state,” he said at a news conference in Jerusalem.

Biden administration officials have denied making any concessions to Tehran and have argued that resuming the deal is the best way to prevent Iran from ever acquiring a nuclear weapon.

A senior government official said that in the event of a full reciprocal reimplementation of the deal, a number of restrictions would come into effect. They include a ban on Iran’s “enrichment and storage of uranium above very limited levels”, the removal of “thousands of advanced centrifuges…including all centrifuges enriching at the fortified underground facility at Fordow”, and “a ban on reprocessing and redesign of a reactor that could otherwise be used to produce weapons-grade plutonium.”

“Strict limits on Iranian enrichment would mean that even if Iran abandoned the deal to pursue a nuclear weapon, it would take at least six months to do so,” the official said.

“In addition to the nuclear restrictions Iran should apply, the IAEA would once again be able to implement the most comprehensive inspection regime ever negotiated, allowing it to detect any Iranian attempt to covertly pursue a nuclear weapon,” she added. up. “Much of that international oversight would remain in place indefinitely.”

CNN’s Hadas Gold, Emmet Lyons and Natasha Bertrand reported.

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Time Is Running Out To Claim Your Stimulus and Child Tax Credit Payments

Last month reported the tax authorities that millions of...

Russian missiles cross into Poland during strike on Ukraine

Comment on this storyRemarkKYIV, Ukraine — A Russian missile...

US stocks advance as inflation data spark hopes of smaller Fed rate rises

US stocks rallied slightly and Treasury bond yields fell...