LIV Golf players asked not to wear logos, can skip pro-am at BMW PGA Championship

Date:

The DP World Tour has asked LIV Golf players scheduled to compete in next month’s BMW PGA Championship not to wear LIV logos on their clothing, according to an email sent Tuesday by DP World Tour. CEO Keith Pelley has been sent to the players.

In the memo, Pelley informed the players that they “will not be required to play in Pro-Am on Wednesday and out of respect for our partners, our broadcasters and your fellow competitors, we would kindly ask you to consider not playing LIV.” Golf branded apparel during your participation in Wentworth.”

A copy of the memo was obtained by ESPN. Two LIV Golf players who plan to compete in the BMW PGA Championship, which takes place September 8-11 at the Wentworth Club in Surrey, England, have also confirmed that they have received the email.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Aug. 18 that LIV Golf contracts include a provision requiring players to wear LIV Golf-branded clothing while competing at other circuits.

Nearly 20 LIV Golf players, including Abraham Ancer, Kevin Na, Talor Gooch, Patrick Reed, Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood and Sergio Garcia, are on the field for the BMW PGA Championship, which has an $8 million purse.

Several PGA Tour players, including defending champion Billy Horschel, Rory McIlroy, Jon Rahm, Matt Fitzpatrick and Viktor Hovland, also plan to play in the event.

After winning last week’s Tour Championship at Atlanta’s East Lake Golf Club, McIlroy said he wasn’t looking forward to seeing the PGA Tour members defect to LIV Golf.

“I hate what it does to the game of golf,” McIlroy said. “I hate it. Really. It will be hard for me to go to Wentworth in a few weeks and see 18 of them there. It just doesn’t suit me.”

PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan has suspended members who entered LIV Golf tournaments with no conflicting releases. Pelley suspended and fined DP World Tour players signed to LIV Golf from three events it penalized along with the PGA Tour, but the penalty was temporarily blocked by an arbiter in England. There will be a hearing on the suspensions and fines in February.

Fitzpatrick, who won the US Open in July, said it would be an awkward setting at Wentworth.

“Of course it will be strange to see certain people in Wentworth,” Fitzpatrick said. “That’s going to be a little weird, and of course it’s a little disappointing. But they won their little thing (arbitration hearing).”

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related