North Korea fires suspected intercontinental ballistic missile, South Korea says

Date:

SEOUL, Nov 18 (Reuters) – North Korea has fired what appears to be an intercontinental ballistic missile, South Korea said Friday, a day after it launched a smaller missile and warned of “more ferocious military responses” to the US that would undermine its regional security presence. strengthen.

This has been a record year for the nuclear-armed country’s missile program, after it resumed ICBM testing for the first time since 2017 and broke its self-imposed moratorium on long-range launches as denuclearization talks stalled.

The Japan Coast Guard said the missile likely landed in the sea about 130 miles west of Hokkaido.

Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said there were no reports of damage, but the North’s repeated missile launches could not be tolerated. He said the missile appeared to have landed in Japan’s exclusive economic zone.

ICBMs are North Korea’s longest range weapons and are designed to deliver a nuclear warhead as far as any location in the mainland United States.

A day earlier, North Korea fired a short-range ballistic missile as Secretary of State Choe Son Hui warned of “firmer military responses” to US moves to bolster its military presence, saying Washington was taking a “gamble where it would regret”.

In a statement released by state media, Choe condemned a Sunday trilateral summit of the United States, South Korea and Japan at which the leaders of those countries criticized Pyongyang’s weapons tests and pledged increased security cooperation.

This year, North Korea has conducted a record number of ballistic missile tests, which are banned by United Nations Security Council resolutions that have endorsed the country’s missile and nuclear weapons programs.

Friday’s launch came as US Vice President Kamala Harris was in Thailand for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit amid geopolitical tensions over the war in Ukraine and other flashpoints such as Taiwan and the Korean Peninsula.

LONG RANGE ROCKETS

ICBMs are ballistic missiles with a minimum range of about 5,500 kilometers (3,400 mi), designed primarily for the delivery of nuclear weapons. Some can travel 10,000 km (6,200 mi) or more.

Some missiles carry only one warhead, but analysts suspect North Korea is trying to develop ICBMs that can carry multiple warheads, each capable of navigating to a separate target point, on independently targetable reentry vehicles (MIRVs).

North Korea’s last suspected ICBM test was on Nov. 3, when North Korea fired multiple missiles into the sea in protest of allied military exercises by South Korea and the United States.

Based on photos released by state media, analysts said the Nov. 3 launch appeared to be a previously unseen ICBM, possibly a variant of the Hwasong-15 ICBM, first tested in 2017 and possibly also in March was launched.

A South Korean official said the Nov. 3 test may have failed at a high altitude. South Korean and US officials have reported that a number of North Korean ICBM tests appeared to have failed this year.

North Korea first claimed to have successfully launched its massive new Hwasong-17 ICBM on March 24, but South Korean and US officials concluded that the launch appears to have been the previously launched Hwasong-15.

The March 24 launch was nonetheless the largest ICBM test ever conducted by the North, with a 67.5-minute flight to a maximum altitude of 3,905 miles (6,248.5 km), North Korean state media reported.

The North also recently fired hundreds of artillery shells into the sea as South Korea and the United States organized exercises, some of which involved Japan.

Reporting by Soo-hyang Choi; Edited by Jacqueline Wong and Edmund Klamann

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Principles of Trust.

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Trump fined nearly $1M for ‘revenge’ lawsuit against Hillary Clinton, others

Comment on this storyRemarkFormer President Donald Trump and his...

Trump: ‘Under no circumstances’ should Republicans cut Social Security or Medicare

Former President Trump on Friday urged Republicans in Congress...

Google axes 12,000 jobs, layoffs spread across tech sector

LONDON (AP) — Google is laying off 12,000 employees,...