SAN ANTONIO — Police have begun investigating allegations that former San Antonio Spurs security guard Joshua Primo exposed himself to a former team therapist multiple times during counseling sessions.
dr. Hillary Cauthen filed a lawsuit against the Spurs and Primo, alleging that the 19-year-old had exposed his genitals to her nine times over multiple sessions.
In addition to the civil complaint filed Thursday in Bexar County, which also includes San Antonio, Cauthen has filed a criminal complaint against Primo.
The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office told The Associated Press it has “made contact with the victim involved in the Joshua Primo incident”. The sheriff’s office called it a “preliminary investigation into the charges” against Primo.
In her lawsuit, the team’s former performance psychologist said the Spurs did nothing to discipline Primo or allay her concerns “despite her numerous complaints about Primo’s inappropriate sexual behavior.”
Cauthen said she’d inquired and requested a meeting with Spurs’ general manager Brian Wright after what she described as Primo’s first incident of indecent exposure in December 2021. She said her request for a January meeting by Wright had been postponed until March, during which time Cauthen continued to counsel Primo despite her concerns.
Cauthen said her role with the team was marginalized in the months that followed, culminating in her contract not being renewed in August.
Cauthen said she was angry, confused and saddened that Primo had not been given any discipline for his actions until the Spurs released him an hour before their October 28 home game against Chicago. Primo approved the waivers on Monday, but has not signed with another team.
In a statement released shortly after Cauthen’s press conference, Spurs CEO RC Buford said the franchise disagrees “with the accuracy of the facts, details and timeline presented today”.
Speaking before Friday night’s game against the Clippers, San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said he could not comment on when he was first informed of Primo’s alleged behavior and what actions the Spurs did or did not take because it is now a legal matter. Popovich did say that the Spurs have long worked to maintain a healthy work environment.
“I would just like to add that anyone who has observed Spurs for a very long period of time knows that an accusation like this would be taken very seriously without a doubt,” Popovich said. “No ambiguity, the Spurs organization would be on top of it. I have every confidence that the men and women of the executive staff who have dealt with this and have done this, purposefully, efficiently, quickly and with the utmost care everyone involved, the prosecutor, the accused, the people in the organization, to make sure everyone still felt comfortable and safe. I’ll leave my comments at that.”
Popovich is an outspoken advocate for civil rights and for various social causes. The claim that the Spurs are turning a blind eye to Cauthen’s allegations has alarmed fans of the team.
“All I would say to the fans is think about the statement I just made about how we’ve handled things over many years,” Popovich said. “As for the details, I think they know intellectually, like all of us, that it’s in the hands of the lawyers. We can’t say anything. That pretty much cuts off everything. I imagine details disappear over time to get to to come out, they always do. Everyone has to wait for that.”