‘Secret’ screenings of cancelled Batgirl movie being held by studio – reports | Batgirl

Date:

Warner Bros Discovery is reportedly holding a series of discreet “funeral screenings” for their unreleased DC movie Batgirl, starring Leslie Grace, Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser.

The Hollywood Reporter confirmed with multiple sources that a select few people who worked on the film, including cast, crew and studio executives, would be attending screenings this week on the Warner Bros. property in California. One source described them as “funeral displays” because it is likely that the images will be stored forever and never shown to the public.

Earlier this month, Batgirl made headlines when it was revealed that the new CEO of Warner Bros Discovery, David Zaslav, had ordered the $90 million film to be scrapped entirely, despite the filming having been completed. With Leslie Grace as the titular superhero Barbara Gordon, JK Simmons as Barbara’s father, Commissioner Gordon, Fraser as the villain Firefly, and Keaton returning to his role as Batman, the film was well into post-production when it was canned, but still had a temporary score and visual effects.

The news sparked a worldwide outcry, with many on social media using the hashtag #releasebatgirl to call on Warner Bros. to release the film. Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige and directors like James Gunn, Kevin Smith and Edgar Wright all expressed support for the cast and crew who worked on the film.

The decision to cancel the film was prompted by wider budget cuts at Warner Bros Discovery after the two companies recently merged, aiming to save US$3 billion. If the film is not shown, Warner Bros Discovery may consider a tax write-off as a loss-making project.

Batgirl has only been shown to the public once, in a single test screening.

The Hollywood Reporter reported that there was a chance that Warner Bros would “take the drastic step of actually destroying its Batgirl footage as a way of showing to the IRS that there will never be any revenue from the project, and so it would should be entitled to the full write-off immediately.”

On Tuesday, Batgirl directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah said in an interview with French outlet Skript that they no longer had a copy of the film.

“We were like ‘fucking shit!'” said El Arbi. “All scenes with Batman in it! Shit!”

El Arbi said it was unlikely they would have the studio’s support to release it in the future or that there could be an equivalent of “the Snyder cut” – Zack Snyder’s four-hour director’s cut of the DC- movie Justice League, which is an extra $70 million for a $300 million budget movie.

“It cannot be released in its current state,” El Arbi said. “There’s no VFX… we still had to shoot some scenes. So if one day they want us to release the Batgirl movie, they have to give us the resources to do it. To close it well with our vision.”

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Newly introduced use of social security numbers for land register searches – Commentary

IntroductionGoalKey aspectsRemarkIntroductionIn Switzerland, there is no central land register...

Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes ‘not ashamed’ of their romance

New 'Good Morning America 3' anchor couple TJ Holmes...

Bet Thursday Night Football Over/Under

Thursday December 1 8:15 p.m. ET Amazon Prime video Accounts Opportunities -3.5 (-118) Patriots...