Several arrested after ‘situation’ at Kentucky State Fair Saturday night, normal operations scheduled for Sunday | Crime Reports


LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — Kentucky State Fair officials continue to say they can’t provide information after chaos erupted at the fair on Saturday night.

The Kentucky state police call it a “situation.”

KSP said it has made several arrests, with charges pending. As of Sunday afternoon, the number of those arrested and their names have not yet been released.

State scholarship officials posted an update on their website Sunday afternoon in which they said in part: “It is unfortunate that a few individuals and bad decisions have disrupted that. While we cannot provide details about the police investigation, we are grateful that no one was injured and appreciate the Kentucky State Police and our Fair Team members for their prompt response to this incident.”

In a release Saturday night, KSP said there were no reported injuries.

WDRB News has requested new information from KSP. On Sunday morning, KSP’s Sherry Bray said state police were still gathering more information. It is unclear when a new update is expected.

According to a press release on the Kentucky Venues website, there was “a situation” for The Midway around 9:20 p.m. The Kentucky state police were on site to investigate the incident and secure the area.

Witnesses told WDRB News conflicting reports about what they saw and heard. Many reported to WDRB News that they heard a loud noise.

A fairgoer shared this video with WDRB News, showing what he saw at the time of the incident Saturday night. The person, who wishes to remain anonymous, says: “It was complete chaos. We were half way through the night with friends. Then people ran for their lives after someone said they heard a gunshot. We ran to the ride our kids were on. An employee of a trade show booth said, “Here, take cover.”

Crowds were also seen running away from the area where the attractions are located.

Despite WDRB’s inquiries about whether or not there was any shooting, officials did not say exactly what the situation was.

Kentucky Venues said it began a soft shutdown of the Kentucky State Fair around 10 p.m. to ensure the safety of all guests, following the suspicious activity.

Officials said the Kentucky State Fair will resume normal activities on Sunday, based on currently available information.

According to the Kentucky State Fair’s hours of operation, the venue was supposed to close out at 11 p.m. This year the fair has imposed a curfew at 6pm, requiring anyone under the age of 18 to be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is 21 or older.

This story is being updated.

Copyright 2022 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voice
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:


More like this