December’s Social Security payments are due out soon and will be the final checks before you see your raisewhich . For SSI receivers, yes . We explain below why and how the timing of Social Security payments works. (Here is the beneficiaries.)
In December, look for a letter in the mail about yourfor 2023. It details your individual benefit rate increase for next year – or you can do that too if you signed up for a My Social Security account before November 15.
Read on to find out when you get your Social Security check this month and how your payment date is determined. Just started receiving Social Security benefits? Here is. Also here is the and .
How are Social Security payment dates determined?
The Social Security Administration sends payments on three different Wednesdays of each month — the second, third, and fourth. The Wednesday on which you receive your money depends on your date of birth. Payments for SSI recipients generally arrive on the 1st of each month (see below). We’ll break it down.
- If your birthday is between the 1st and 10th of the month, your payment will be sent on the second Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday is between the 11th and 20th of the month, your payment will be sent on the third Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday is between the 21st and 31st of the month, your payment will be sent on the fourth Wednesday of the month.
What if I receive both Social Security and SSI?
If you received Social Security benefits before May 1997, or if you receive both Social Security and SSI, the payment schedule is different. Instead of receiving your payments on a Wednesday, you will receive your Social Security benefits on the third day of each month and your SSI on the first day of each month.
However, those payment dates change if the first or third day of the month falls on a weekend. For example, October 1 fell on a Saturday this year, so SSI recipients received their October payments a day early on September 30 and their Social Security payment on Monday, October 3. The same applies in December for payments in January 2023.
When will I get my December Social Security check?
Here is the December schedule (pdf) for when you can get your Social Security check and/or SSI money:
- December 1st: Payment for those who receive SSI.
- December 2: Social Security for those who receive both SSI and Social Security, or have received Social Security since before May 1997.
- Dec. 14: Social security for people with a birthday between the first and the tenth of a given month.
- Dec. 21: Social Security for people with birthdays that fall between the 11th and 20th of a given month.
- Dec. 28: Social Security for people with birthdays that fall between the 21st and 31st of a given month.
- December 30: SSI payment in January. This check will raise the COLA.
note that November 23 was the payment due date for November.
What if I don’t receive my check on the expected date?
If your check doesn’t arrive by the date listed above based on your date of birth or other circumstances, the Social Security Administration says to wait three additional mail days before calling. If you still haven’t received it, you can call 800-772-1213 to speak to a representative.
The SSA notes that wait times to speak with a representative are shorter Wednesday through Friday and later in the day (between 4 and 7 p.m. local time).
While you wait, you can also access yourby visiting ssa.gov/myaccount.
We update this story every month as payment dates change.