The Social Security Administration made payments last October for Social Security income recipients and will send out the first Social Security check of the month in a few days. We will explain below how the timing of Social Security payments works.
Keep an eye on your mailbox for the next two months for a letter about yourfor 2023 — it should arrive in December. It should be the largest increase in Social Security benefits since 1981. The letter will detail your benefit percentage for next year, but you can also on the Social Security website.
Read on to find out when you’ll get your Social Security check this month and how your payment date is determined. Just started receiving Social Security benefits? Here is. Here is also the and .
How are Social Security payment dates determined?
The Social Security Administration sends payments on three different Wednesdays of each month — the second, third, and fourth. On which Wednesday you receive your money depends on your date of birth. Payments for SSI recipients generally arrive on the first of every month (see below). We’ll break it down.
- If your birthday falls between the 1st and 10th of the month, your payment will be sent on the second Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday falls between the 11th and 20th of the month, your payment will be sent on the third Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday falls between the 21st and 31st of the month, your payment will be sent on the fourth Wednesday of the month.
See the October program below.
What if I receive both Social Security and SSI?
If you received Social Security benefits before May 1997, or if you receive both Social Security and SSI, the payment schedule is different. Instead of receiving your payments on Wednesday, you will receive your Social Security payment on the third day of each month and your SSI on the first day of each month.
However, those payment dates change if the 1st or 3rd of the month falls on a weekend. For example, October 1 fell on a Saturday this year, so SSI recipients received their October Social Security benefits the day before, September 30, and will receive their SSI payment on Monday, October 3.
When will I get my October Social Security check?
Here’s the October schedule (pdf) for when you could get your Social Security check and/or SSI money.
- September 30th: Payment for those who receive SSI. The payments went out early as October 1 is Saturday this year.
- 3 Oct. Social Security benefits for those who receive both SSI and Social Security, or have received Social Security since May 1997.
- Oct. 12: Social Security benefits for people with birthdays that fall between the first and the 10th of a given month.
- Oct. 19: Social Security benefits for people with birthdays that fall between the 11th and 20th of a given month.
- Oct. 26: Social Security benefits for people with birthdays that fall between the 21st and 31st of a given month.
note that September 28 was the payment deadline for September.
What should I do if I don’t receive my check on the expected date?
If your check doesn’t arrive by the date listed above based on your date of birth or other circumstances, the Social Security Administration will tell you to wait three additional postal days before calling. If you still have not received it, please call 800-772-1213 to speak to a representative.
The SSA notes that wait times to speak to a representative are shorter Wednesday through Friday and later in the day (between 4 and 7 p.m. local time).
While you wait, you can also access yourby visiting ssa.gov/myaccount.
We’ll update this story every month as payment dates change.