What’s new in The Witcher 3 PS5? The “next-gen update” to CD Projekt Red’s open world RPG features a series of improvements and additions, more than five years after the original game’s release. The developer has added some much-requested features to the upgrade, including graphical boosts, gameplay tweaks, and more.
In this guide we’ve listed everything that’s new and all the improvements that we currently know The Witcher 3 PS5.
This guide is currently a work in progress. We’ll continue to update it as we receive new information from CD Projekt Red, leading up to the game’s December 14 release.
The Witcher 3 PS5: Everything new and all improvements
Below is a list of everything new and all improvements in The Witcher 3 PS5. We’ve broken this list down into categories for easier reading.
This is all-new content added in The Witcher 3 PS5.
- A new quest based on The witcher Netflix show
- A new (optional) appearance for Dandelion, based on The witcher Netflix show
- A new armor set for Geralt based on The witcher Netflix show
- New (optional) armor design for Nilfgaardian soldiers based on The witcher Netflix show
- New weapons, armor and items
- A fully integrated photo mode, complete with editing tools and filters
Here are the ways The Witcher 3 PS5 has improved the game’s visuals.
- Higher resolution textures during the game
- Improved character models
- Improved environmental assets
- More varied NPC (non-playable character) models, especially in cutscenes
- 30fps ‘Quality’ mode with ray tracing support (resolution not confirmed at this time, 4K expected)
- 60fps ‘Performance’ mode (resolution currently unconfirmed, although The Witcher 3 on PS4 Pro ran at a checkerboard 4K, so we expect the same here)
- Better character spacing
- More foliage, denser grasses
- Improved lighting effects and lighting
- Additional and more varied weather conditions, such as fog
Here are the ways The Witcher 3 PS5 has been technically improved.
- Much improved loading times, both on fast travel and loading/reloading a save
These are the gameplay additions in The Witcher PS5.
- The new ‘Quickcast’ system allows players to cast gestures without having to open the radial menu – instead you just hold down a trigger and press the corresponding face button
- New (optional) camera setting puts the camera much closer to Geralt, over his right shoulder, which applies both in and out of combat
- New (optional) gesture settings for Geralt, mapping slow walk/sprint to how far you push the left stick
- A ‘hybrid’ minimap option has been added, causing the minimap and UI to fade out during gameplay until you hit the focus button
- Map filters allow you to adjust how much information you can see on the map screen
- You can now pause the game during cutscenes
Here are the gameplay tweaks in The Witcher 3 PS5.
- Numerous gameplay tweaks (detailed in the full patch notes ahead of the game’s release)
- Rebalanced enemy scaling (when enemy scaling is enabled in the options)
- Fall damage is reduced
- Rats are no longer ridiculously deadly when level scaling is enabled
These are other additions and improvements that don’t necessarily fit into previous categories.
- Full cross-save and cross-progress support for all platforms
- Full DualSense controller support, with haptic feedback and adaptive triggers
- Subtitles can now be scaled
- Simplified Chinese voice acting and localization added
- Korean voice actors added
- Improved localization for other languages
Frequently Asked Questions about The Witcher 3 PS5
Below we have collected the most frequently asked questions about The Witcher 3 PS5.
Does The Witcher 3 PS5 include all DLC and expansions?
Yes, The Witcher 3 PS5 includes all of the original game’s free DLC packs, along with its two expansions, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. The expansions are included even if you didn’t have them on PS4.
Is The Witcher 3 PS5 a Free Upgrade?
Yes, The Witcher 3 PS5 is a free upgrade if you already own the game on PS4. This applies to both the original release and the Game of the Year edition.
Will The Witcher 3 PS5 Get a Physical Release?
Yes, CD Projekt Red has confirmed The Witcher 3 PS5 is getting a physical release. However, the release date for the physical edition is currently unknown. It’s expected to be released after the upgrade launches digitally, on December 14, 2022. We’ll update this part of the guide as soon as we know more.
What do you think of everything new and all improvements in The Witcher 3 PS5? Relive your monster-slaying adventure in the comments section below, and check out our other guides to The Witcher 3: