Tiger Woods calls for LIV Golf boss Greg Norman to stand down

Date:



CNN

Tiger Woods has called for Greg Norman, the CEO of the Saudi Arabia-backed LIV Golf series, to resign amid a split from the PGA Tour.

Speaking to reporters ahead of the start of his Hero World Challenge event in New Providence, Bahamas, Woods said Norman “has to go.”

When asked if the LIV Golf series and the PGA Tour can coexist, Woods said, “Not now, not with their leadership, not with Greg there and his animosity towards the Tour itself. I don’t see that happening.”

Following the launch of the LIV Golf series earlier this year, the sport of golf is divided and many of the top players on the PGA Tour are moving to the rival series.

Earlier this year, LIV Golf joined some of its players in an antitrust lawsuit alleging that the PGA Tour threatened to impose lifetime suspensions on players participating in the LIV Golf series.

The lawsuit also alleges that the PGA Tour has threatened sponsors, vendors and agents to force players to forego opportunities to play in LIV Golf events and access to their members.

The PGA Tour filed a countersuit in late September alleging “unlawful interference with the Tour’s contracts with its members”.

The LIV Golf Series is backed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) – a sovereign wealth fund chaired by Mohammed bin Salman, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia.

The opening season of the controversial big-money tour saw former world champion Dustin Johnson win the individual championship title and $18 million in prize money.

Woods – who returned to golf earlier this year after suffering serious injuries in a car accident – has previously spoken out against the LIV Golf series and on Wednesday reaffirmed his position.

“I think Greg should go first, and then, of course, the lawsuit against us and then our countersuit against them, those would have to be postponed as well,” said the 15-time main champion. “Then we can talk, we can all talk freely.”

In an interview with Fox News that aired in August, Norman said Woods turned down an offer worth about $700-$800 million to join the LIV Golf series.

Earlier this month, World No. 1 Rory McIlroy also called on Norman to resign his position at the top of the breakaway series.

LIV Golf declined to comment on Woods’ latest comments when contacted by CNN.

Norman attends a LIV Golf Tournament in Bangkok, Thailand last month.

Woods has not competed since July and announced this week that he was withdrawing from the Hero World Challenge with plantar fasciitis – pain in the base of the foot.

“It was a tough decision just because I want to play,” said Woods. “I love to play, I love to compete, but unfortunately – I can hit the golf ball and hit any shot you want – I just can’t walk.

“I’ve had a few setbacks over the course of the year that I somehow managed to handle, but I just can’t do this one.”

He said his goal next year is to just play the major championships and one or two other tournaments because that’s all he can handle physically.

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related