Tropical depression could form this week in Caribbean: forecasters

Date:

Activity in the tropics is increasing with four areas being monitored, including an area of ​​low pressure that could grow into a tropical depression this week as it moves west-northwest toward the Caribbean.

By early Sunday, the National Hurricane Center had given it a 30% chance of developing in the next 48 hours and 70% in the next five days. Experts said gradual development is expected as it moves through the central Atlantic and toward the central and western Caribbean.

It produced disorganized thunderstorms Sunday as it moved west-northwest at 10 to 25 mph. If a tropical depression or tropical storm were to form, it would be named Danielle.

A second low pressure trough could develop over the northwestern Caribbean this week, and some slow development is possible as the west-northwest moves across the northwestern Caribbean Sea and toward Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula.

As of Sunday, the National Hurricane Center has given it a 20% chance of developing over the next five days.

A third outage about 600 miles east of Bermuda Sunday has a 10% chance of developing in the five-day forecast.

A fourth focus area is a tropical wave that is expected to hit the west coast of Africa on Monday.

None of the systems pose a threat to Florida at this time.

This could well be the third August since 1961 that there has been no tropical storm in the Atlantic, according to AccuWeather.

There have been only three named storms so far this season — Alex, Bonnie, and Colin — and the last, Colin, dissipated on July 3, meaning this 56-day streak is the third longest in history. the Atlantic hurricane season has been without a named storm since 1995.

The longest dry spell since 1995 was 61 days, from June 18 to August 18 in 1999. However, that two-month inactivity was followed by a hectic conclusion to the hurricane season with five Category 4 storms (Bret, Cindy, Floyd, Gert and Lenny ) and the soaking Category 2 Irene, which reached a rarity, with his look over Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties in mid-October. There was also a 59-day streak during the 2007 season.

Breaking News Alerts

Breaking News Alerts

As it happens

Get updates on story development as they happen with our free email alerts for breaking news.

Forecasters say dry air, Saharan dust and wind shear are among the reasons why there have been no more storms this year.

The most active part of the hurricane season is from now, mid-August, through the end of October, with September 10 being the statistical peak of the season.

The last Atlantic hurricane was Sam, which became a hurricane on September 24 and maintained that status until October 5 when it carved a path between the United States and Bermuda.

Of the three storms mentioned so far this season, only Alex made his presence known in South Florida by dumping as much as 12 inches of rain in some areas.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released its updated hurricane season forecasts earlier this month.

NOAA is forecasting 14 to 20 named storms and six to 10 hurricanes, with three to five being severe, meaning Category 3 or higher.

The hurricane season ends on November 30.

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Powerball winner in CA, at least one $1M ticket sold in Mass.

AND ONLINE. JESSICA: Well, it's FINALLY over. ...

$2.04B jackpot ticket sold in Altadena, California

At Joe's Service Center in Altadena, California, it was...