Trump Mar-a-Lago home searched over ‘likely’ efforts to hide files, DoJ says | Donald Trump

Date:

The FBI searched Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida after obtaining evidence that a suspected attempt to conceal classified documents had been made despite a grand jury subpoena and despite his lawyers suggesting otherwise, said the Justice Department in a lawsuit.

The recount — contained in a Justice Department dossier opposing Trump’s request for an independent review of material seized from Mar-a-Lago — amounted to the most detailed picture of possible obstruction of justice outlined so far by the government.

“Attempts have likely been made to obstruct the government’s investigation,” the Justice Department said in its file on Tuesday evening.

One of the new revelations in the 36-page file was that FBI agents recovered three classified documents from desks in Trump’s office in Mar-a-Lago and additional classified files from a storage room, contrary to what the attorneys for the former president to the Justice Department. .

The Justice Department said in the submission that after a Trump attorney accepted service in May of a subpoena for material removed from the White House, the attorney and custodian of the Trump administration filed a single lawsuit in June. Redweld had given a legal envelope, double-pasted, that contained the documents.

While Trump’s attorney and custodian handed over the folder to Jay Bratt, the Justice Department’s chief counterintelligence officer, the custodian produced and signed a letter confirming that a “diligent investigation” had been conducted and that all documents contained on the subpoena responded were returned.

The former president’s attorney also told Bratt that all of the documents in the envelope came from one storage facility in Mar-a-Lago, that there were no other documents elsewhere in the resort, and that all boxes of material were from the White House. searched, said the judiciary.

The custodian who signed the letter has been identified by two sources familiar with the case as Christina Bobb, a member of Trump’s internal advisory team, although a copy of the letter reproduced on file by the Department of Justice, edited the custodian’s name.

But the FBI then discovered evidence from multiple sources that classified documents remained in Mar-a-Lago despite the subpoena, and that other government documents were “probably” hidden and removed from storage, according to the filing.

The Justice Department said in its submission that the evidence — details of which were redacted in the affidavit of the search warrant that was partially unlocked last week — enabled it to obtain a warrant to enter Mar-a-Lago, where FBI agents found more classified documents in Trump’s private office.

“The government has seized 33 pieces of evidence, mostly boxes,” according to the filing of Trump’s search for the Palm Beach, Florida resort. “Three classified documents were also seized that were not in boxes, but in the desks in the ’45 Office’.”

Illustrating the contents of the August 8 seizure, in an exhibit similar to how the Justice Department would show the results of a drug bust, the filing included a photo of the retrieved documents with classification markings, including “top secret” and ” secret” designations.

The Justice Department added that the documents most recently collected by the FBI contained materials marked as “compartment sensitive information,” while other documents were so sensitive that the FBI counterintelligence agents reviewing the materials, required additional security clearances.

“That the FBI has recovered twice as many documents with classification markings as the ‘diligent search’ that counsel for the former president and other representatives had weeks to conduct raises serious questions about statements made by the FBI.” have been taken in the certification of June 3. .”

After painting an extraordinary portrait of the hurdles the Justice Department had to overcome to even recover government documents, prosecutors argued that Trump had no basis for seeking the appointment of a so-called special master to handle the files. to judge.

The request for a special master in this case fails, the filing argued, as Trump tries to use the potential of executive privilege to withhold documents from the executive — which the Supreme Court ruled in Nixon v GSA does not hold. used to be.

The Justice Department added that even if Trump could somehow successfully assert executive privilege, it would not apply to the current case, as the documents marked as classified have been seized. taken as part of a criminal investigation into the handling of the documents themselves.

Trump is expected to go through with his request for a special master and to get a more detailed list of materials from Mar-a-Lago, according to a source close to his legal team, who also disputed the filing. of the Ministry of Justice the chance of an obstruction charge.

On Tuesday morning, before the Justice Department filed its response, minutes before a court-imposed midnight deadline, Trump added a third attorney, former Florida Attorney General Christopher Kise, to his outside legal team, two said. sources with direct knowledge of the matter.

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

‘Community’ Movie Is Finally Happening, at Peacock

Pop, pop the champagne: maybe it's not the darkest...

Florida’s insurance woes could make Hurricane Ian’s wrath even worse

ORLANDO — The economic devastation left behind by Hurricane...

Stadia’s Sudden Shutdown Blindsided Staff, Devs, And Bungie

This time, the decision appears to be part of...