Brazil’s Bolsonaro to accept election loss in speech to nation -minister

Date:

SAO PAULO/BRASILIA, Nov. 1 (Reuters) – Brazil’s far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, will not contest his election defeat and will address the nation later on Tuesday, Communications Minister Fabio Faria told Reuters.

The presidential speech may defuse protests from his supporters, who have blocked highways in many states across Brazil, along with pro-Bolsonaro truckers calling on him to face the electoral victory of leftist Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

Bolsonaro has so far made no public comments about the election results and has not called Lula after Sunday’s vote.

Bolsonaro’s political allies, including his chief of staff Ciro Nogueira, have already begun contacting the Lula camp to discuss a transition. Some, including the Speaker of the House of Commons of Congress, have publicly said that Bolsonaro’s government must respect the election result.

Truckers – who have benefited from Bolsonaro’s cut in diesel costs – are one of the president’s main constituencies and have previously disrupted Brazil’s economy with highway closures.

The Brazilian supermarket lobby has reported supply problems as a result of the protests and has called on Bolsonaro to resolve the situation before store shelves run out.

The Supreme Court ordered police to lift dozens of blockades that had blocked access to a major grain export port, shutting down the country’s largest airport and beginning to affect the transportation of food and fuel.

AIRPORT ACCESS

The highways blocked by Bolsonaro supporters included major roads used to transport grains from agricultural states to ports, as well as a main road connecting the two largest cities, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo.

The main access road to Sao Paulo’s Guarulhos International Airport, the busiest in the country, was temporarily blocked by dozens of protesters and 25 flights were cancelled, the airport said. But Governor Rodrigo Garcia said the highway was reopened Tuesday morning.

“We honest Brazilians are against the return of that gang that looted the state treasury,” said truck driver Vando Soares, against the return to the office of Lula, whose presidency in 2003-2010 was marked by widespread corruption.

“We’re not moving until that bandit is stopped from running for president,” he said.

Another protester, Naiele Souza, said she thought Bolsonaro was waiting to see how the demonstrations would unfold before addressing the nation.

Lula’s win marks a stunning comeback for the 77-year-old former metal worker, who ruled Brazil from 2003 to 2010 but then spent time in prison on corruption convictions that were later overturned.

Lula has vowed to overturn many of Bolsonaro’s policies, including pro-gun measures and weak protection of the Amazon rainforest.

Justice Alexandre de Moraes called on the Federal Highway Police (PRF) to lift all truck blockages.

Some truck drivers have posted videos calling for a military coup to prevent Lula from coming to power.

The PRF said truck drivers partially or completely blocked highways in more than 200 locations as part of protests that have spread to 21 of Brazil’s 26 states and the federal district. They said another 192 roadblocks had been lifted.

Reporting by Brian Ellsworh and Gabriel Araujo in Sao Paulo, Ricardo Brito and Anthony Boadle in Brasilia; Editing by Brad Haynes, Paul Simao and Alistair Bell

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related