Get oneto your Social Security benefits is an exciting thing to look forward to in the new year. If you’re ready to see how much extra you’ll get, you’ll be able to access that information this month. But when and how you find out depends on whether you created an online My Social Security account before November 15. If you did, you can see how much your raise is much sooner. If not, you can still sign up to access information about other benefits.
A My Social Security account shows you your current or expected future benefits, based on your expected retirement age and your work history. You can also submit documents for itrequest a benefit verification letter or change your mailing address and other personal information.
Here’s how to access your Social Security benefits online and what information and features you can access with your My Social Security account. If you are receiving benefits now, this is thefor November. Also recipients of additional security income .
Create a My Social Security account
To view all of your Social Security benefits online, you must first create a My Social Security account. Here’s what to do.
1. Go to ssa.gov in your browser and select mine Social Security.
2. Then click create an account.
3. You will be prompted to log in with youror login.gov account, unless you created an account before September 18, 2021. Keep in mind that you’ll need to create one of those accounts if you don’t already have one.
4. Once you have an account, you must agree to the terms of service to continue.
5. Next, you need to verify your identity. The Social Security Administration will send a one-time security code to your email address that you must enter within 10 minutes to proceed to your account.
You should now be able to access all of your Social Security statements and other details online.
Social security information that you can view online
When you log in to your online account, you can view your Social Security statements. If you are not yet receiving benefits, you will see an estimate of the amount you could receive when you retire.
There is a table of your monthly benefit amounts when you retire. For example, if you were born in 1960 or later, your chart might show retirement at 62 years old (early), 67 years old (full), and 70 years old (delayed). Please note that these retirement ages may change in the future. The longer you wait to retire, the more money you can receive per month.
You can also view information about your eligibility and income. If you’ve worked for at least 10 years, you have enough work credits — you need 40 — to receive benefits. If you click Check your income statement, you will see your taxed Social Security and Medicare income for each year you worked.
When can I see my cost of living adjustment for 2023?
As long as you create your My Social Security account online before Nov. 15, you can see how much your benefits will be increased starting in early December, Acting Social Security Administration Commissioner Kilolo Kijakazi said. You log into your My Social Security account and check the message center to see your new benefit amount for 2023.
If you haven’t signed up for a My Social Security account, you’ll receive a COLA notice in the mail sometime in December.
Note that your increased Social Security payment will take effect in January 2023. If you are a beneficiary of Supplemental Security Income, your first increased payment will be on December 30.
What else can you do with a My Social Security account?
There are several things you can do from your My Social Security account.
- Start your pension application.
- File a disability claim if you are unable to work for a year or more due to a medical condition.
- Calculate benefits for a current or former spouse, based on your income record.
- Check the status of your pension or disability application.
- Request a benefits verification letter detailing your payments or lack thereof.
- Declare your wages if you work and receive Social Security disability insurance.
Would you like more information about social security? Here’s how to tell if it is.