Sanford High active shooter incident confirmed as Hoax

Date:

The York County Emergency Management confirms that the incident at Sanford High School & Regional Technical Center is a hoax. A call came in to the Sanford Regional Communications Center around 8:20 a.m. Tuesday, officials said. The call came from an untraceable number, which reported an active shooter dressed in a black jacket and black pants with a gun on the first floor of the high school. The caller told authorities they were locked in a teachers’ lounge. Sanford Police Lt. Matthew Gagne says two school resource agents were already on the scene at the high school at the time of the call. The Superintendent of Sanford Schools said that once the information was gathered, schools went into a lock-down situation. Gardiner and Portland schools received similar calls with similar descriptions of a shooter, officials said. Steve Benotti, Sanford fire chief, said after receiving the report that they responded with several units along with those from surrounding areas. When no patients were found, the fire chief said the crew had been demobilized but added that they had sufficient resources on site, citing previous active firing training for the response. “No one ever wants to go through this kind of situation and we can thank all our lucky stars that nothing terrible came of it from today,” said Benotti. “It’s just the world we live in that we have to be prepared to respond to such things.” Hundreds of parents came to Memorial Gym to pick up their kids after the hoax. “This is the closest thing to a situation that isn’t — which ultimately isn’t real,” Maine Department of Public Safety Commissioner Michael Sauschuck said. “If you commit a crime like this in the state of Maine, we’ll come after you.” The Maine State Police said they are aware of multiple active shooter threats in the state, saying they are all believed to be hoaxes. Thank God nothing happened at school today,’ Gagne said. “We were able to really practice today.” Superintendent Matt Nelson proudly said of the response from staff, students and first responders, “(We’re) very lucky it wasn’t believable.” federal law enforcement partners to collect, share, and act on threat intelligence. An FBI spokesperson said: “We urge the public to remain vigilant and immediately report any suspicious activity and/or individuals to law enforcement.” Maine’s Total Coverage has a crew on site and will bring you the latest information from officials as it becomes available.

The York County Emergency Management confirms that the incident at Sanford High School & Regional Technical Center is a hoax.

According to officials, a call came in at about 8:20 a.m. Tuesday at the Sanford Regional Communications Center. The call came from an untraceable number, which reported an active shooter dressed in a black jacket and black pants with a gun on the first floor of the high school. The caller told authorities they were locked in a staff room.

Sanford Police Department Lieutenant Matthew Gagne says two school employees were already on the scene at the high school at the time of the call.

The Superintendent of Sanford Schools said that once the information was gathered, schools went into a lock-down situation.

Gardiner and Portland schools received similar calls with similar descriptions of a shooter, officials said.

Sanford Fire Chief Steve Benotti said after receiving the report that they have responded with several units, along with those from surrounding areas.

When no patients were found, the fire chief said the crew had been demobilized but added that they had sufficient resources on site, citing previous active firing training for the response.

“No one ever wants to go through this kind of situation and we can thank all our lucky stars that nothing terrible came of it from today,” said Benotti. “It’s just the world we live in that we have to be prepared to respond to such things.”

Hundreds of parents came to Memorial Gym to pick up their kids after the hoax.

“This is the closest thing to a situation that isn’t — which ultimately isn’t real,” Maine Department of Public Safety Commissioner Michael Sauschuck said.

The Maine State Police said they are aware of multiple active shooter threats across the state, saying they are all considered hoaxes.

“Thank God nothing happened at school today,” Gagne said.

“We really practiced today.” said Superintendent Matt Nelson, proud of the response from staff, students and first responders. “(We’re) very lucky it wasn’t believable.”

The FBI is aware of the numerous threats and said they are working with local, state and federal law enforcement partners to collect, share and act on threat intelligence.

An FBI spokesperson said: “We urge the public to remain vigilant and immediately report any suspicious activity and/or individuals to law enforcement.”

This content was imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in a different format, or you can find more information on their website.

Maine’s Total Coverage has a team on site and will bring you the latest information from officials as it becomes available.


The Valley Voice
The Valley Voicehttp://thevalleyvoice.org
Christopher Brito is a social media producer and trending writer for The Valley Voice, with a focus on sports and stories related to race and culture.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

The Fed’s New Key Inflation Rate Eased In December; S&P 500 Slips

The core inflation that the Fed has typically been...

It Has to Do With Stimulus

Image source: Getty Images The programs that helped families get...

Social security issues priority at South Africa BRICS meeting

Social security issues will be at the top of...